Weight Loss Diet Red Flags

If you’re currently on a weight loss diet, there are some important things you need to be thinking about. While many fat loss diets will work quite nicely, there are some that throw up some major red flags. While the promises it offers you in terms of weight loss may be tempting, if the overall diet is lacking in certain requirements, the results you do experience are going to be short lived.

Here are the top weight loss diet red flags that you need to make yourself aware of and avoid at all costs.

Cutting Out All The Foods You Enjoy

First up, and this is a big one in terms of weight loss diet adherence, if you remove all the foods you enjoy, you aren’t going to be successful.

Let’s face it - deprivation sucks. Period. If you are not able to eat any of the foods you enjoy - or even find somewhat tasty, you are going to have a hard time following this diet as it’s laid out.

Either you will cheat on it from time to time or you will just go entirely off it and rebound back the weight you already were.

Unless that diet contains food that you will feel satisfied eating, you’re better off skipping it.

Diets That Remove Full Food Groups

Next up on our list of problems as far as your diet is concerned is a diet that removes full food groups.

This somewhat goes hand in hand with the above, but considers a more nutritional side of things.

Even though you are trying to lose weight, if your weight loss diet cuts out a whole food group, chances are high that you aren’t going to be getting the nutrition you

While getting those five pounds off is obviously something you want to happen, if it’s at the long-term sacrifice of your health, you might want to rethink this.

Diets That Don’t Offer Sufficient Protein

Third, if you are not getting enough protein on your diet, your best to get off it immediately.

When we diet, we are at a much higher risk of losing precious muscle mass; muscle mass that’s going to cause your basic metabolic rate to increase, therefore allowing you to eat more calories every single day and still maintain your weight.

Ideally you should be taking in 1.5 grams of protein for each pound of lean body weight you carry, but at bare minimum I’d recommend one gram per pound. If you aren’t getting this, you’d better make some changes - fast.

Diets That Don’t Allow For ‘Life’

Finally, the last thing that needs to be in order for a diet to be effective is simply the allowance for some occasional indulgences. If you can never go out for a fancy meal with your significant other or have a piece of birthday cake at your best friend’s birthday, this really is not all that sound of a diet.

Sure, there will be people who choose not to and are perfectly fine with that - but any good diet will only require you to be ‘on’ 90% of the time, leaving the other 10%
of the time for ‘fun’ foods.

If you can’t get results without 100% adherence at all times, the diet is not formulated entirely correct.

So, have a look over your current diet, does it meet the bar?